Got A Hole In My Heart, Can You Handle My Love?

 


"Can You Handle My Love" by Walk the Moon. 

I can hear pretty much any song as a worship song. It may be a superpower (or perhaps it is just strange), but I hear from God often and in all kinds of music.  
I heard this one on the radio yesterday and the lyrics above cut deep for me, I can imagine they would for many of us.  The song is about that hole in our hearts and how we try to fill it with chemicals, or anything else.  The lyrics make it seem like it would be a sad song, but it isn't at all. The lyricist is simply stating his self-awareness while getting on about his life.  

I was thinking about how I do try to fill that hole in my heart with anything and everything.  A lot of people will say things like "That hole is just a God-sized hole and only God can fill it." Like we just declare one day "OK God, now you fill that hole in me", and BOOM, hole is gone now, so glad that's over, let's all praise the Lord. 
I think that this is total crap and bad theology. Our lives are filled with so many valleys and peaks. Periods of long straight paths and winding roads too. Sometimes my spirit is filled to bursting with God's love and presence; while other times it feels empty and parched, as though He has left me completely. Jesus Himself felt this way on the cross.  
So what do we do with this? I'm not sure. But today I put this jam on repeat and sang parts of it aloud to God. 

"All the possibilities got me feeling kinda free
Then my insecurities get me down on my knees
Like I can't believe I need a release
Gotta feed my soul, gotta spread my wings
I made mistakes but I still own up
I may be late but I still show up
If you can't relate then you're too grown-up
Life is the bomb and it might blow up
So can you handle my love?
Then take a chance with my love
Said can you handle my love?
Then close your eyes, roll the dice
Take a chance with my, chance with my love"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ReMade

Swords Into Plowshares

Let Me Live in the House by the Side of the Road