What Opens at the Close

 I had just planned my senior son's last week of school.  Wrote that last 180th day at the top of Friday's lesson plan.  Last last day.  He has graduation at his co op on Saturday.  We have been working on a table we get to set up to honor him after graduation. Looking back through so many first and last day photos. Memories from public school and teachers and memories of homeschool and co op. Reading through old compositions. Seeing the progression from childhood to young man. The pieces of humor and sweetness that transcend the growing up.  The parts of them that forever change as your child becomes a young adult. It is such an unfolding. 

I kept thinking of a scene from the Harry Potter book about the Golden Snitch. Harry puzzles over the meaning of the words engraved upon it: "I open at the close." He finally understands the clue, he must breathe his last dying breath in order to open the snitch. And inside is the resurrection stone that will raise him back to life! I love this scene in the movie, and I find it true in life that often something in us must die before something new is born. It is certainly true of childhood. I don't envy teens as they navigate this transition. It is true in parenthood as well, as your child begins to grow up it is a slow unfurling of your influence and control. Being the chief educator of my son these past 7 years has been an honor and yet so humbling. Watching your child discover passions and being able to dive deep into them was a huge gift of homeschooling. Being the person in charge of assigning work and cracking the whip was much less enjoyable. It has been a wonderful, challenging journey. 

I am full of hope, with a sprinkling of fear, and anticipation. Asking for faith: I believe, help my unbelief. Which is a great place for a new beginning.  

And now we wait for what will open at the close.  In me, in him, in my daughter next in line.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ReMade

Swords Into Plowshares

Let Me Live in the House by the Side of the Road